CBD or cannabidiol has been a trend lately. It’s not surprising that you can see a lot of products infused with it on the shelves of health food shops. According to most experts, it can help in treating many health conditions such as anxiety. Let’s find out if that’s the case.
Can Cannabidiol Help in Treating Anxiety?
It’s still not very clear at this point how cannabidiol or hhc gummies can help treat anxiety. According to research, it can work on serotonin levels. In case you’re wondering, serotonin is a chemical found in the brain that works in regulating sleep, digestion, behavior, and mood.
Research also says that boosting serotonin can help in the treatment of anxiety. Some medications such as antidepressants work on controlling serotonin. There are studies suggesting that cannabidiol can work the same way as anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants.
Research Conducted on Cannabidiol and Anxiety
- In 2011, a study reported that cannabidiol could lessen discomfort and anxiety when people with social anxiety disorder did public speaking.
- Another 2011 study discovered that those who suffer from a social anxiety disorder experience fewer anxiety symptoms.
- A review of 49 studies done in 2015 says that cannabidiol could be used for panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder.
- In 2019, a study found that 91% of the 11 participants with PTSD had fewer symptoms after using cannabidiol.
- A 2017 study reported no connection between cannabidiol and the improvement of paranoia or anxiety. They found that some people became more anxious.
These are mostly positive, but there are some things you need to remember. Most of these studies, even those with negative results, have a small number of participants. Therefore, these findings don’t mean that they represent the population.
The long-term effects of cannabidiol were also not taken into account. That means there’s no certainty if cannabidiol will be effective for a long time in reducing anxiety symptoms.
Cannabidiol for Anxiety Dosage
There’s no exact dosage of cannabidiol for anxiety. According to studies, doses of 300 mg to 600 mg can lessen the symptoms of people who suffer from a social anxiety disorder. However, further research is still required to know what dosage is effective.
If you wonder how you can consume cannabidiol, there are many products and forms you can choose from such as drops. Candies, vapor, teas, drops, oils, and capsules among many others. You can even have it added to your latte and other drinks.
However, it’s important to know that the FDA doesn’t regulate these products. So, there’s no uniformity in the labeling or seal of approval to ensure the safety of these products.
Cannabidiol gained popularity because of its supposed benefits for many health disorders such as anxiety. The results of the studies show promise, but they’re still limited because of the limited sample sizing and information regarding its effect when used for a long time. More research is still needed for its safety and effectiveness.